______________________________________________________________________ · Positive attitude and encouragement.
General thoughts about this age group based on US Youth Soccer Best Practices:
· Team concepts and combination play should not be introduced.
· They are able to remember what they were shown last practice and apply it.
· Keep activities short and simple.
· Give plenty of encouragement
General description of what should be happening during practice:
· Having fun with the ball.
· No line, no laps, no lectures.
· Encourage the basic skills and give them time with the ball.
· Include games to goals. General description of information that is communicated to the players by the coach:
· Specific soccer related information should be limited to basic ideas.
· When addressing technique, consider that kids learn by watching and copying.
Best qualities of a coach for this age player:
· Appreciate the power of learning by watching.
· Have the ability to demonstrate or us older players to demonstrate.
· Understand the capabilities and limitations at this age.
· Positive attitude and encouragement.
____________________________________________________________________________________ Last minute tip:
This is recreation soccer and you will be dealing with a wide range of skill levels. The drills are age appropriate. Try to put similar ability players together when they are working in the groups. The player ability evaluation may take a few practices but this will be very beneficial for the players and coaches.
Last minute tip:
Encouraging words for your players
"Great job at practice today"
"Your dribbling is really getting good"